As a Business owner, knowing how to choose a web designer can be the most crucial business decision you make. Having a mobile ready, search friendly, interactive website, that provides clear solutions, and the best user experience for consumers and possible new leads is vital in 2017.
Having website gives consumers a place to verify the credibility of your business, have their questions answered and acts as a channel for clear open communication while providing resources and value. Without the correctly built & designed website, you’re literally losing money. 60% of consumers go online to find the information they need 80% of consumers use their smart phones and mobile devices to do so. We have written
We have written a complete article that goes more in depth importance of a website here. If you do understand the importance and want to figure out how to select the best web designer? Then first you should probably understand what the difference between a web designer and web developer is. below is a list of titles used for design and development with descriptions that will better direct you what you are actually looking for.
What types of web designers are there?
The official definition of a web designer is someone who prepares content for the web you will see the full definition below to give you a better idea of what you are really looking for.
- Website Designer – This is someone who is mainly related to the styling and layout of pages with content, including text and images( The guy who designs the theme of the site).
- Website developer – This is the person who develops and programs the code to make the website or application work. By taking the concepts from the web developer and implementing and formatting them into the code for browsers and computers ( the guy who does all the coding).
- Graphic Designer/Artist – creates graphics, illustrations, edited photos, logos, and all other creative media that goes into the visual representation of the web layout. (the “Graphic artist” who creates and brands your website)
- SEO – This is the person who optimises all the code, content, links, images, video so the search engines find the site and rank in top positions on the first page of the search results. (The guy who gets you more leads)
- PPC Advertiser– This is the person who use digital advertising platforms to advertise your products or services for a cost per click to you web link ( guy who makes ads and gets you business)
- Digital Marketing Consultant – helps you to determine how your website fits into your overall marketing strategy, and how to get more traffic and sales from your website.
I hope the explanations above help you out, now that you know the differences in web service providers you can select the right person for the job. You also need to know what makes a great website so you can then find the right person who can build it for you and how to choose the correct company or person to get it done. We have provided the answers to these questions below.
How to create a website
When Choosing a Web designer for your business you need to choose a web designer( or Web Developer, SEO) who knows what it takes and knows how to create a website. A good web designer or company will know all these aspects and will have experience in designing and developing with the user in mind.
Heres what it takes to create a good website.
- Provide high-quality content.
- Mobile responsive.
- Easily accessible.
- Structured with a logical link structure.
- Use of rich graphic media. (for the best possible User experience)
- Provide relevant and useful information. (answer questions any user might have)
- Performs and functions fast and efficient.
- Incorporates video, animations to help tell stories
- Have CTA above the fold (calls to action to capture leads for your business)
- Easily engage and communicate with consumers.
- Follows Googles and other search engine guidelines with Whitehat SEO practices.
How to Choose a Web Designer
Choosing a web designer is a crucial step in advancing any business. It is important to choose a web designer that you can rely on to get the right task complete and who understands your business. Choosing the wrong web designer can not only cost you valuable time but can have a negative impact on your bottom line and keeping your business in the back of the search engines where no one can find you.
Here are the most vital things to know and ask when hiring a web designer.
- Review their company or personal website. usually, their website will give you a good idea of their creative design ability and design experience. A web designers website is their showcase.
- Review their portfolio, work they have done for other clients will give you the best idea of what to expect. Check to make sure these sites meet guidelines of how to build a website.
- Review their reviews. You can learn a lot by reviewing a companies google reviews. Even if there are negative comments you can see what they said if anything and how they handled it. This can also give you insight to specific issues raised to make you aware of how they do business.
- Review content o a blog post or other web pages they have written. One of the most important factors in web SEO is content. If they have terrible writing skills that will surely reflect if you hire them.
- Do they have a structured planning process or systematic phase process that identifies a schedule from conception, design, development, to launch?
- Do they cover other services like graphic design, video production, web development, SEO, PPC, Social media marketing, Branding? usually, a good web designer who only focuses on web design will be able to refer you to someone who can cover these other services or is capable of doing them.
- Do they ask you for your budget? usually this a good indicator they know what they are doing. This information lets them plan to give you the most services for as cheap as possible. Some things can’t be avoided or not built. Answering this question can save you both great amount of time and determine if you belong together in a business relationship. Companies who don’t ask for budget information don’t usually have processes in place that can meet your needs in most cases.
- Do they ask detailed questions about the business and services? You should pay attention to the type of information they ask about your business. They should ask detailed questions about your business, your audience, your current website, your social media, association, credibility, your products and services, your budget, and your marketing goals.
- Do they offer white hat services? white hat services are ethical guidelines of building and designing web sites you can end up black listed and kick off google if a web developer doesn’t do white hat design practices.
- They should also be able to explain to you how the new web site will found in search engines. they should explain how SEO and marketing will meet your goals based on the type of business and industry you operate.
- Ask them what they are best at doing. Each web designer has a specific niche if you will of what they are really good at find out what theirs is and see if it checks out with how to create a website.
- Ask them if they understand usability. usability is using a user-centered design that has one focus your customers. This is very important and shows if their prerogatives are in the best interest of your company, as it should be. If they do not understand this question then I would personally go talk to the next guy on my list.
- Ask them if about making changes after the site is built. usually, some changes like content and media will be changed free of charge. but if you go asking them for a complete redesign it will cost you. so see how much work you get after the site is complete.
- Ask if any SEO services will include in the design process. Usually for basic on-page SEO designers with making sure all titles, content, and images are optimised this includes choosing Specific search friendly keywords and structuring your page with links. If they tell you SEO services are PPC Google ads then they have no idea what SEO is and you can use your better judgment to hire them.
- Ask them What the most important thing about developing your web site is? They should tell you focusing on bringing you leads and building a site the attracts new users.
- Ask if the site will be hosted by them or if they can refer you to a host.
- Ask and make sure your contract states that you own the copyright to the entire website and its contents if you no longer require their services. I have seen many businesses get duped and have to go without a site for not finding this out upfront. don’t do business with anyone who wants to keep your site. Get a digital copy.
- Ask them if they will maintain the site after creation? What will they be maintaining? usually updates redirects, cache clearing, and minor site adjustments should be apart of this. find out who will be in charge of this or if it’s up to you and if there is an easy way for you to get this taken care of if you do not know how.
- Ask them how they will bill you. usually, web designers require half down and half on completion. others will get a specific amount and invoice you every month. Or pay more when milestones are met. Some offer financing which can be a quick and viable solution to both of you.
- Ask if they are willing to have consulting meetings to go over progress and help you understand the web side of your business. Usually, a good web designer will have ideas and be able to contribute to your businesses success. This might include extra cost depending on the scope of the ideas.
The moral of this entire page is to help you make an informed decision. Being a web developer myself for over 20 years. I have learned that education and information is key. ( this is why I am currently working on my master’s degree in computer science and engineering) With that said the main thing you want to convey when choosing a web designer, web developer, SEO, Digital marketer is not only their experience and cost but their direction.
Your business and retaining new clients & leads should be the only top priority. A good web designer will have the tools, drive, and resources to make that happen. I have met young guys that build websites from their mom’s kitchen that have more drive than some of these so called top rated companies.
So make sure actually enjoy the person you’re working with and go with the person you feel most comfortable with. Building a relationship with a web designer is a valuable asset. I myself have a handful of clients that are very dear friends of mine now and both of our businesses are thriving.
A website has become more than just a brochure for someone to locate you or a brief summary of your business with your logo on it. If this is what you are wanting I would recommend just making a facebook page. there are literally billions of web sites online and it is a great task for the search engines to serve up the most relevant information pertaining to any business.
furthermore, if you do go with a website remember. It is a dynamic project that takes time and just like the real business you have to get people to find it. This is why there is SEO search engine optimisation which is an entire classification of development on its own. I hope this information was useful in making your decision good luck.